Use the WSU Stewart Library online
catalog to find location and availability of books and other
media in Stewart Library. Most of the books on literature are located
on level two of the library in the General Collection under
the call numbers PJ to PZ, English and American Literature is found
in PS and PR.
Cat to find books in other libraries. WorldCat is the
world's largest network of library content and services. Search
many libraries at once for an item and then locate it in a library
nearby. Excellent online help is on each screen and see What
is WorldCat for an introduction. For
home or off campus access please use your WSU Login.
If we do not own a particular book or article you need,
we will borrow it for you from another library through Interlibrary
Useful Library of Congress Subject Headings may include:
English literature -- History and Criticism
English literature --
Study and teaching
Literature - Study and teaching
Literature - History and criticism
- WSU has a subscription to about 3,000 titles available at Netlibrary.
Netlibrary also includes many titles in the public domain.
You may also use the WSU online
catalog to find these books.
ONLINE REFERENCE RESOURCES
Resource Center - (includes
Contemporary Authors, Dictionary of Literary Biography and
other materials) - Literature Resource
Center provides access to biographies, bibliographies and critical
analysis of over 90,000 authors from every age and literary discipline.
Search by Author Name, Title, Genre, Literary Movement or Literary
Themes. A great place to start any literature research project
- The Cambridge
History of English and American Literature - An
Encyclopedia in Eighteen Volumes. Full text. Compiled from 1907
to 1921 contains 303 chapters
Encyclopedia of British Literature - The Encyclopedia
provides comprehensive coverage of literature including the entire
history of literature in the United Kingdom and the Republic of
Ireland in the major literary languages (Anglo-Saxon, English,
Welsh, Scots, Irish, and Latin). It includes substantial accounts
of individual authors and detailed histories of particularly significant
themes, movements, genres, and institutions.
English Dictionary -The largest english language
dictionary including the authoritative history of each word.
Reference Online - 100 well-known and trusted dictionaries
and reference books in all subjects, plus an encyclopedia, in
a single cross-searchable web database.
Companions to Literature - Access twenty
titles in this series in an online searchable format.
- Credo (was xreferplus) -
PRINT REFERENCE RESOURCES
Listed below are some
selected examples of print resources available.
Use the catalog or browse the shelves, under the PN to PT call numbers,
to see many more reference books (dictionaries, encyclopedias, handbooks,
guides, companions, concordances, thesauri, etc.) on literature
and literary criticism. All reference titles listed below are on
the Middle Level in the Reference area.
- American Writers (Supplement) - PS129.A55
- Benet's Readers Encyclopedia - PN41.B4 19
- The Bloomsbury Guide to English Literature -
- Contemporary Literary Criticism - PN813.C6
- Dictionary of National Biography (@1901-1961)
- Encyclopedia of the Novel - PN41.E487 1998
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism
- PN81.J554 1994
- The Oxford Companion to African American Literature
- PS153.N5 O96 1977
- The Oxford Companion to English Literature (edited
by Margaret Drabble) PR19.D73 1995
- Reference Guide to World Literature - Reference
PN524.R44 1995 V.1-2
- The Wellesley index to Victorian Periodicals
, 1824-1900 / Walter E. Houghton, editor. Special Collections,
Top Level, Dewey Call # - 052H838w (WSU owns V.1 & V.5 only)
To find short stories , use The Short Story
Index is in the general collection, top level, PN 3375 - covers short stories written in or translated into English that
have appeared in collections and selected periodicals from 1950.
Search by author, title or subject.
several good sources for book reviews. They include:
- Book Review Digest - Reviews of fiction and nonfiction in magazines
and journals. Search by author and publication date to find
review excerpts and references to reviews in other publications.
Available in print 1904 to present along East wall in Reference.
- Books in Print
with Reviews - Some full text reviews.
- Amazon.com - Search for a book by author or title, scroll down to see both editorial reviews and review excerpts from major publications and customer reviews from interested readers.
- Barnes & Noble - B&N tends to have better editorial/published reviews than Amazon.
New York Times Book Reviews - Search the books archive for
full text book reviews and news since 1996. Children's
Books - list of those reviewed by The New York Times since
January 1997, arranged alphabetically by author:
Book Review Home page - age appropriate information on many
All of the article
databases below can also be used to find book, short story,
movie and play reviews and critical articles.
To find articles on your
topic you need to use article databases, also known as periodical
indexes. Each database usually covers a group of subject related
journals. Search by subject or keyword in these indexes. Most
indexes are available from off campus.
- Modern Language Association (MLA) International Bibliography
is usually the best index for researching literature and literary
criticism topics. MLA provides article reference for articles
in literature, languages, linguistics, and folklore back to 1963.
Updated ten times per year. See the Guide
to Using MLA.
- Most of the article references in MLA are NOT full text
- To get the full text of articles use the following steps:
- Click on the Find Full text link to see if we have access to the journal in another database.
- IF NOT - order the article from an other library through Interlibrary
Loan using the Illiad
System form. Articles ordered through Iterlibrary
loan usually arive in several days. Many are in electronic format.
Search Premier - Provides many full text articles
in important journals & magazines in all fields.
& Humanities Search - Citations from many of
the world's leading arts and humanities journals. 1980 - present,
-- International Index to Performing Arts -
Citations, abstracts and some full-text articles on all aspects
of the performing arts including plays and playwrights.
- A group of full-text journals in many
subjects, including literature. Dates of coverage vary.
BROWSING CURRENT PERIODICALS
Current magazines and
journals can be browsed in the Current Periodicals Area, in the
"P" section on the Main level. Bound volumes of older
issues are found upstairs in the periodicals stacks.
Check the Ejournals
Database to know:
- if we have access to a specific journal in full text online or in print
- which journals are indexed in which databases and when
Examples of some ejournal
titles we have access to include:
Muse - search full text online journals including
Journal of Criticism
Journal of Modern Literature
of Modern Literature
for American Literary Study
- Table of contents and some full-text
articles online. Print copy in Stewart Library is located
some WWW sites to get you started. Most of these will take you to
other links, so explore!
META SITES - British
META SITES - American
OTHER INTERESTING SITES
- Comics Research Bibliography- " This is an international bibliography of comic books, comic strips, animation, caricature, cartoons, bandes dessinees, and related topics."
- International Association for the Study of Popular Romance - "The International Association for the Study of Popular Romance is dedicated to fostering and promoting the scholarly exploration of all popular representations of romantic love."
- The Writers Guild of America
- The official Web site of the Writers Guild of America,
with information on screen writing for film, television, and interactive projects. It includes writing tips, research links,
and script pages.
- World War One
Poets - A series of wonderful hyperlinked seminars from Oxford
- The Orlando Project
- The Orlando Project is a collaborative undertaking for writing
the first full scholarly history of women's writing in the British
- Post Colonial Web
- From the National University of Singapore