: Use the WSU online
to find location and availability of books and other media
in Stewart Library. Most books are located on the Middle Level of
the library in the General Collection.
- Books on costumes and costume history are located
- Books on theatrical lighting and set design are found under
- Books on theatre are found under PN 1600-3307
- To find books with pictures on a subject :
- Use Subject keyword search with term pictorial works:
African American pictorial works (finds books
consisting mostly of pictures of African Americans)
- Use General keyword search with term ill*: African
Americans ill* (finds books about African Americans with some
- NOTE: When searching for historical information about
African Americans, you need use the terms that were in use during
the historical period: African Americans, Blacks, Afro Americans,
Other areas that may
have books with pictures of interest to designers include
- N - art history
- D - history - general & world
- E - history - U.S.
- F - history - local U.S. & the Americas
- G - anthropology, ethnography
- T - photography
- TT- for fashion and textiles
- H - advertising in business
Search for videos
& DVDs just like books. They are located in the Media
Collection, lower level. Most can be checked out.
If we do not own a particular book or article you need, we will
borrow it for you from another library through Interlibrary
Reference Books &
Reference resources include
encyclopedias, dictionaries and other materials you use to "refer"
to for background information on a topic.
- American Decades, American Eras, World Eras,
and the 20th Century Day by Day - These are chronologies
and timelines with pictures. REF Index Table 2B
- ARTstor - ARTstor is a digital library of more than one million images in the arts, architecture, humanities, and social sciences. Collections comprise contributions from outstanding museums, photographers, libraries, scholars, photo archives, and artists and artists' estates. For WSU student and faculty use only.
of Clothing and Fashion WSU library database
- Dictionary of Art - Stewart Library, middle level, REF
N31.D5 1996 - Index table 3A (Online at Grove
Dictionary of Art - WSU library database.)
- American Historical Images on File -
REF - call numbers vary, check catalog.
- The Black Experience REF E185.B573
- The Complete History of Costume & Fashion : from
ancient Egypt to the present day - REF GT375.C67
- Twentieth Century Fashion Series: 5 volumes
including The 40s & 50s : utility to new look
REF GT 596
- The Wearing of Costume : the changing techniques of
wearing clothes and how to move in them, from Roman Britain to
the Second World War REF GT730.G7 1995
- Encyclopedia of Furniture - REF NK2205.Y38
- Theatre Backstage from A to Z - REF PN2091.M3
- What Where and When of Theater Props - REF
- Visual Food Encyclopedia - REF TX349.E48 1996
of Food & Culture WSU library database
- Books published by Dorling Kindersley (aka DK Pub*)
Use the Publication Information search
- Books by David Macauley including: Castle,
Underground, Cathedral, Pyramid & How Things Work
- Life Magazine - PER AP2.L722
(Check out other popular magazines, especially the ads)
- Popular Magazines such as Time, New Yorker,
etc. for advertising & articles.
- Newspaper Advertising - We have complete collections
of The New York Times, Ogden Standard Examiner, Salt Lake
Tribune, Deseret News and partial runs of other newspapers.
- advertisements from 1911-1955 from Duke University
- The Robert Opie
Collection - British advertising and nostalgia
- Sears, Roebucks catalogs - we have reprints,
books such as: Everyday Fashions of the Forties as Pictured
in Sears Catalogs, reprints of several early catalogs and
most of the Christmas catalogs from 1933 - 1986 on microfilm.
- American Cultural Guides from the Kingwood
College Library - 19th
Century & 20th
Century - there's a guide for each decade - excellent place
to find all kinds of information.
Online (world history timeline)
- Stewart Library Archives &
Special Collections - great source for photographs, especially
- Check out reviews to see how others did it: check out
the Theatre Research Guide and Academic
Search Premier database. For 1890 - 1982, use the Reader'
Guide Retrospective article database.
see the web sources listed below.
To find articles on your topic you
need to use article databases, also known as periodical indexes.
Each database usually covers a group of subject related journals.
Search by subject or keyword in these indexes. For
home or off campus access please use your WSU Login.
- Academic Search
Premier - many fulltext articles in magazines &
journals from all subject areas. Be sure to try
their image search feature.
- IIPA -- International
Index to Performing Arts - Citations, abstracts and some
full-text articles on all aspects of the performing arts including
plays and playwrights.
Guide Retrospective - index to popular magazines from 1890
- Art Full Text
- Abstracts from 1994, selected full-text from 1997
covering: Art History, Crafts, Decorative Arts, Fashion Design,
Folk Art, textiles, etc.
- America History
and Life - good place to find historical information, finding
images may be more difficult.
- Arts & Humanities
Search - Citations from many of the world's leading arts
and humanities journals. 1980 - present, updates weekly.
- Also check the full list of Arts
and Humanities Databases
Newswatch - Full text Articles from minority and ethnic
newspapers, magazines, and journals in English and Spanish.
- Many newspapers and broadcast news services are available
on online, but it may be easier to find images in the print/microfilm
and journals can be browsed in the Current Periodicals Area, on
the Middle level.
Bound volumes of
older issues are found upstairs in the periodicals stacks.
Browsing in the "AP2" general section is particularly
useful for viewing back issues of illustrated magazines such as Scribners,
Atlantic Monthly and Harper's which go back to the
1920s. JSTOR has
the older volumes of a number of journals available online.
Here are some WWW sites
to get you started on theatrical design including, costumes, lighting
and scenery. Most of these will take you to other links, so
See many more
links on Research Guide: Costume History and
LIGHTING AND SOUND
SCENE DESIGN AND PROPS
GENERAL SITES OF INTEREST
For The Piano Lesson