STEWART LIBRARY CATALOGING WITHDRAWAL PROCEDURES
- An item is marked WITHDRAWN from the collection following procedures set forth in “Withdrawal & Disposition Policy” outlined by the Collection Management group.
- An item to be withdrawn is delivered to cataloging by librarians/ bibliographers and/or the circulation department.
- Librarians & the circulation department conduct inventory of the collection will find items to be withdrawn. The items are placed on “TO BE WITHDRAWN” bookshelf designated by cataloging. Items on a book cart can be delivered to catalogers for withdrawal processing.
- Lost item resolved and paid for at collection department is withdrawn from the collection. A bibliographic detail print-out of the item to be withdrawn is given to the cataloger and to bibliographer/librarian by circulation. REPLACEMENT copy will replace lost item. Lost Item Record will be deleted and a new item record created for the replacement copy (Assuming the replacement is exactly the same as the lost item).
- When an item is found after it has been withdrawn, circulation will need to notify cataloging to make the record of the item available and update the item correctly.
- The Cataloging Department will withdraw (“W”) and make “STAFF ONLY” an item in two places in HORIZON (ILS): Item Record and MARC Record. If the title/item has one or more items not being withdrawn, the MARC record status will remain unchanged.
- Bib Record and Item Record are NOT DELETED from the catalog, only its STATUS changed-WITHDRAWN and STAFF ONLY. Complete Withdrawal entails: Item STATUS and MARC Record STATUS changed to “Withdrawn” & made “STAFF ONLY.”
- Cataloger will also input internal note (reason and date withdrawn) in the item record as necessary.
- To cancel the barcode, cataloger will input a “w” at the beginning of the barcode number.
- Cataloger deletes HOLDINGS from OCLC. If there are two items of the same title and only one copy is being withdrawn, DO NOT delete holdings from OCLC unless it’s a new edition. If necessary, relabel the copy that is not being withdrawn.
- Cataloger should count the number of item withdrawn and to which collection it belongs. These numbers/stats are given to the University librarian monthly.
- PHYSICAL PROCESSING: ALL items should be stamped “WITHDRAWN” on and or thru the call number, barcode, spine and other visible area of the item. Using a sharpie, draw a line or “W” over the barcode.
- After cataloging is finished processing an item, it is placed on a cart labeled “DISCARD”. The circulation department will then discard the item.
- NOTE: Before an item is discarded, make sure the item has been processed by cataloging.