Weber State University: 100 years as a college

Weber Century College Celebration Logo

­Weber Stake Academy opened its doors on January 7, 1889 as a local school for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Its curriculum included preparatory (4th grade level), intermediate (5th grade level), and academic (high school level) courses. In 1912, the preparatory and intermediate classes were dropped and the curriculum focused on high school courses. As the community evolved, the need for upper division courses became apparent. In 1916, Weber Academy began offering college courses and the school was renamed Weber Normal College in 1918.  In the 1920-1921 school year, Weber stopped teaching high school freshman classes and dropped the high school curriculum at the end of the 1922-1923 school year. Weber Normal College became a junior college and was renamed Weber College on August 16, 1922.

The next 100 years has seen a lot of change and growth. Weber made it through the Great Depression, and was transferred from the LDS church to the state in 1933. After World War II, enrollment boomed and a new campus location was purchased. In 1954, Weber College moved to the Harrison Boulevard campus. Weber became a four year institution in 1962, and a university in 1991. The school has expanded programs and degrees, enrollment, campus locations, and has evolved as the world has changed.

The students of Weber have taken an active role in the school’s development, and expressed themselves through student government, clubs, protests, the Signpost, and many student journals.

Each month this exhibit will progressively spotlight each decade, sharing stories and photographs as the exhibit expands into an accumulation of a yearlong exhibit.