Print Course Reserves
Sanitizing protocols require that we quarantine a book for a minimum of 24 hours and we cannot provide print course reserve materials under these conditions. We have been workign hard to find alternative access to print textbooks in preparation for the fall 2020 semester. Unfortunately, our efforts have been met with resistance from most textbook publishers who do not provide libraries with electronic purchasing options. Textbook publishers operate on a for-profit model focused on selling electronic versions of textbooks directly to students.
Many students relied on course materials for access to their print textbooks. The Stewart Library is committed to student success. We are working with faculty to identify and provide access to textbook alternatives, including:
- Using an e-book available from the library's licensed e-book collection. Many academic e-books are not classified as textbooks and are available for library purchase.
- Linking to academic content from the library's existing collection of electronic resources, such as journal articles, streaming media, and other digital material.
- Adopting an open education resource (OER). OERs are freely available educational materials that are openly licensed to allow for modification and re-use by instructors.
- Posting individual book chapters or excerpts of scanned content, subject ot copyright limitations.
Need advice on how to find and integrate no-cost course materials? Contact your Subject Librarian or the Resource sharing department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitting Course Reserve Material
We are still accepting material for Print Reserve, however, please not that students will not be able to check this material out from the library. Students will only be able to request select pages or chapters to be scanned and electronically delivered to them. Scan requests must be submitted to Interlibrary Loan.
In processing material for Faculty requested course reserve, the Library requires the following:
- Material must be delivered at least three days prior to the date intended of use.
- Photocopies must be "best copy" quality, single-sided, and on 8.5 x 11 paper.
- The "source" of photocopies of a chapter from a book, journal article, etc. must be clearly identified.
- URL links and electronic files are accepted and recommended. Files can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Selections from library owned material will be scanned upon request.
- All material must be accompanied by a Reserve Request Form. (Download or obtain from the library's Circulation Service desk)
- All photocopies will be placed on electronic reserve whenever possible.
- Material submitted must be in conformance with WSU Library, WSU, and U.S. Copyright guidelines.
- All material requiring copyright permissions must be submitted with written copyright permission.
- Material received from an instructor that is not in compliance with copyright policies (see below) will not be processed and will be returned to the instructor.
- Material received from an instructor without a Reserve Submission form will not be processed and will be returned to the instructor.
Copyright Compliance Statements
In providing Course Reserve services for instructors, the Library accepts the following:
- Single copy of copyrighted material provided by an instructor for use in a single course during a single semester when the copying meets the tests for fair use, brevity, spontaneity, and cumulative effect.
- Single copy of material produced and provided by an instructor (e.g., syllabi, sample exams, etc.)
- Single copy of copyrighted material intended for simultaneous use in multiple courses and/or to be used over successive semesters only when copyrighted permission has been obtained from the copyright holder and are on file with the Library's Reserve Office.
- Reserve personnel will assist instructors in obtaining copyright permissions upon request.
- Material for which copyright permission is required but cannot be obtained will not be processed and will be returned to the instructor by the Reserve Supervisor.